Smith Monument
Ugliest Monument
John Smith Home
History Themes
SeacoastNH Home

spacer
Sponsor Banner
Early Postcard View of Star

Chapel and Tucke Monument

This early photo postcard shows the rocky island from the perspective of the Gosport Chapel. The Tuck Monument went up in 1914 and the restored, but shortened Smith Monument is in the center at the rear as a small square speck. Again, the emphasis here is on how barren the land appears compared with today. This is the image that visitors to the Isles saw up until the last half of the 20th century. (SeacoastNH.com Image Library)

Read about the Smith Monument
Ugliest Monument in New England

gallery buttons

top of page

line rule

logo

Site label
PO Box 4458
Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03802
URL: http://www.SeacoastNH.com
Voice: 603-427-2020
Email: info@SeacoastNH.com


line rule