Seacoast Home
History Home
Touring Home
Early Images
Portsmouth Map
spacer
Sponsor Banner

Lord House (John Paul Jones House Museum)

photo

Lord House (John Paul Jones House Museum)
Middle Street, Portsmouth, NH
Illustration (c) 1913 Helen Pearson

See JPJ House Today

See John Paul Jones Homepage

Early photo of JPJ House

Previous Image | Photo Gallery | Next Image

Excerpt from "Vignettes of Portsmouth," (1913) by Helen Pearson and Harold Hotchkiss Bennett, Courtesy of Portsmouth Public Library Collection.



In 1756, was built this gambrel-roof house by Captain Purcell, a well-known merchant. After his death, his widow maintained it as a boarding house, and in 1779, entertained Captain John Paul Jones, (Note: accurate date is 1783. Jones original visit was in 1777.) during his stay in Portsmouth, while he impatiently awaited the building of the frigate "America" on Badger's Island.

Honorable John Langdon later owned the house, then Samuel Lord, Cashier of the Piscataqua Bank, and its successors, for fifty years; during part of which time he as also Treasurer of the Portsmouth Savings Bank. (Note: Four years after the publication of "Vignettes" the Lord House became the home base of the new Portsmouth Historical Society in 1917 and remains open to the public today.)

top of page

[ HOME | HISTORY | ARTS | TOURING | BUSINESS | SEARCH ]
[ Early Images | New | Site Map | Talk | Store | History Themes ]

line rule

logo

Site label
Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801 Email: info@SeacoastNH.com


line rule