Luring Tourists to NH
Early Images
Seacoast History
SeacoastNH Home

spacer

Sponsor Banner
Early Seacoast Images
Seacoast Tourism Photos, Circa 1949

Seacoast 1949

Fifty years before our web site SeacoastNH.com there was this little magazine. We have found four issues, so far, of this tourist booklet, published soon after the War in 1949. Our logo, you can see, is on the cover! Great minds run in the same channel, they say.

Organized efforts to promote this region are rare. It is more common for local independent towns to promote themselves separately. The region has six chambers of commerce. This 1949 efforrt was organized by a group representing 17 separate towns -- each with its own member. The group called itself The New Hampshire Seacoast Regional Development Association.

We don't know who they were, but we like their style. These little black and white booklets are filled with lovely photos. They focus on the elusive Seacoast "qulaity of life" unlike many publications -- then and now -- that emphasis commerce and growth. This is a surprisingly artsy publication for a group of town officials.  War, it seems, makes people thankful.

A half decade later we offer these sights again, some gone and some preserved,  in the Seacoast region. -- JDR

Scenic Images of Seacoast, NH
Circa 1949

SeacoastNH 1949
Portsmouth steamer arriving at Star Island, Isles of Shoals
SeacoastNH 1949
A trio of classic lobster men just off the boat
SeacoastNH 1949
The Parsonage still standing in old Newington, NH
SeacoastNH 1949
Ice fishing house moved to the Exeter River by sled
SeacoastNH 1949
An old Durham mill, now gone
SeacoastNH 1949

Sign marking the arrival of David Thompson in Rye
in 1623 which (we think) is no longer standing
 

Text and Design Copyright 2002 SeacoastNH.com

top of page

line rule

logo

Site label
Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801 Email: info@SeacoastNH.com


line rule