The Old Stone Stable
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Stone stable man waiting / Strawbery Banke ArchiveStrawbery Banke Presents

Among Portsmouth’s most unusual commercial structures was the "stone stable" on Fleet Street. Built in 1836, it was likely an adjunct to the "Temperance Mansion House" next door. That building was later called the City Hotel and the National Hotel. It burned in 1877 making way for what is now the National Block. The stone stable survived as a livery until 1905 near what is now a condo and office project in Market Square.


HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly


Portsmouth's stone stable on Fleet Street (c) Strawbery Banke Archive

Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved


Worker on roof pre-1905 with Old POst Office behind him / Strawbery Banke Archive

Detail of stone work/ Strawbery Banke ARchive

Bored and waiting, Portsmouth, NH / Strawbery Banke Archive