The Meserve Boyd Raynes House
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke archive

Unknown figure outside Raynes House on North Mill Pond / SeacoastNH.comStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #128

By its demise in 1938 the “White Village” on the North Mill Pond was 100 feet long. Nathaniel Meserve built the right side in 1740 and established the shipyard at the back. George Boyd added the middle parlor, fence and garden after 1770. Shipbuilder George Raynes added the final section in 1832.

 

 


 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Home of shipbuilders Nathaniel Meserve, George Boyd and George Raynes in Portsmouth, NH (c) Strawbery Banke Museum archives

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

BONUS CLOSE-UPS

Mserve House room/ Strawbery Banke Archive 

Portsmouth's Raynes House front door/ Strawbery Banke