South and North Mill Photos
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Anonymous boys at South Mill Pond / Strawbery Banke ArchiveStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #70

Both South and North Mill ponds in Portsmouth are aptly named. From the 1650s until the 1880s both had working mills. The impounded tidewater of the South Mill (top) was used to grind grain until the city bought the water rights and removed the building. The North Mill (bottom) operated on Fresh Creek off Elm Street (now Woodbury). A 1764 dam created the second tide-mill that operated as both a grist and sawmill.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

South Mill Portsmouth, NH/ Strawbery Banke Archive

North Mill, Portsmouth, NH / Strawbery Banke ARchive

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved