Save Our Shiphouse
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archives

 

Two shiphouses in Victorian Portsmouth / Strawbery Banke Museum
Strawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #57

Not a single ship was built during the 1880s in these two massive buildings at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The Santee Shiphouse (left) had been built in 1819 and the Alabama Shiphouse (right) in 1813. Eventually both outgrew their use and were removed during modernization of the shipyard during the Spanish-American War. Another larger shiphouse survived until 1936.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard around 1890 / Strawbery Banke  Archives

SEE ALSO
Franklin Shiphouse Fire 1936

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved