Pushing the Peirces Around
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Middle Street turn of 20th century/ Strawbery BankeStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #166

The 1799 John Peirce Mansion on Middle Street still survives, but has been pushed back from its dominant spot in Haymarket Square. Across the square to the left Charles Peirce ran the "Oracle of the Day" newspaper. Orice located in Market Square, the "Oracle House" was moved to Haymarket around 1800, then to Marcy Street in 1937 where it sits today across from Prescott Park.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

John Peirce Mansion, Middle Street, Portsmouth, NH (c) Strawbery Banke Museum


This image from the book STRAWBERY BANKE:
A Seaport Museum 400 Years in the Making
by J. Dennis Robinson
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum Collection

Strawbery Banke

BONUS PHOTOS

COlorized postcard of John Peirce House in Portsmouth, NH / SeacoastNH.com

Pracle House in Portsmouth, NH (c) SeacoastNH.com

"Oracle House" belonging to Charles Peirce was moved tat least twice from Market Square to Haymarket Square in 1800 and then here to Marcy Street in 1937 where it is currently privately owned. (SeacoastNH.com photo)