Portsmouth Fish Pier Migrated South
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Davis Bros stero card on SeacoastNH.comStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #173 

A fleet of fishing schooners dry their sails off Ceres Street around 1870. This area called Spring Market was once the center of commercial fishing along the Piscataqua. Three of the city’s four fish dealers were located here. Today the Portsmouth Fish Pier is located at Peirce Island in the South End.

 

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Fishing fleet off Ceres St in 1870, Portsmouth, NH (c) Strawbery Banke Museum Collection

This image from the book STRAWBERY BANKE:
A Seaport Museum 400 Years in the Making
by J. Dennis Robinson
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum Collection

Strawbery Banke

SEE ANOTHER VIEW OF
Spring Hill Market