Portsmouth Cottage Hospital
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

View down Court Street from Aldrich House toward current day Strawbery Banke offices / Strawbery Banke ArchiveStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #84

If this looks like the Thomas Bailey Aldrich House on Court Street, it is. Aldrich lived here as a boy. His Portsmouth-era inspired "The Story of a Bad Boy", the 1869 novel. The house briefly served as the city’s "cottage hospital". In 1895 the city moved into a new hospital on Junkins Avenue. Eight years after this 1900 photo, the house became the Aldrich Memorial, now part of Strawbery Banke.

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Portsmouth, NH first hospital on COurt Street, after cloing in 1900 /Straswbery Bake musuem

VISIT OUR Thomas Bailey Aldrich section

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved