Mansion Razed for Bowling Alley
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Treadwell House Closue-up/Strawbery Banke archive on SeacoastNH.comStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #121

The 1765 Charles Treadwell House stood at the corner of Middle and Congress Streets until the 1956. Historian Dorothy Vaughan watched in horror from her Portsmouth Library window as the building was torn down to make way for a bowling alley -- now office suites and restaurants. The loss of the building inspired Vaughan’s campaign to preserve Strawbery Banke Museum in 1957.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Charles Treadwell House 1750, Portsmouth, NH / Strawbery Banke Museum Archive

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

AFTER THE DEMOLITION

One Middle Street Portsmouth, NH / SeacoastNH.com

House torn down in Portsmouth, NH 1956/Portsmouth Herald photo