Inside the One Room Schoolhouse
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

202cu.jpgStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #202

This 1890s-era photo is rich with detail about the Portsmouth Plains brick schoolhouse, first opened on January 3, 1846. Three teachers stand at the back by blackboards and a porcelain sink beneath a portrait of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. (Continued below)

 

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekl

202plainsschool.jpg

There is a heater on the left and a square grand piano on the right topped with dried flowers. Good boys and girls, hands crossed, stare somberly at the camera positioned above the teacher’s cluttered desk.

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

BONUS CLOSE-UPS

202detail1.jpg

202detail2.jpg

Posted by permissio exclusively on SeacoastNH.com