Inside the Bad Boy House
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Bailey Memorial parlor detail/ Strawbery Banke MuseumStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #151

Portsmouth’s first house museum opened in 1908 to honor Thomas Bailey Aldrich, author of "The Story of a Bad Boy." Mark Twain gave a dedication speech at the Music Hall. This image shows the parlor as Aldrich described it. In the 1869 book Grampa Nutter reads the "Rivermouth Barnacle" by oil lamp, often setting the newspaper on fire as he dozed off.


 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Parlor of Thams Bailey Aldrich House Memorial in Portsmouth, NH (c) Strawbery Banke Museum

 Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

VISIT OUR TB Aldrich Section 

Colorized postcard from photo above/ SeacoastNH.com

BONUS CLOSE-UP

Captain Nutter Parlor detail/ Strawbery Banke Museum