How Market Square Got Its Name
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

20700.jpg
Strawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #207

Portsmouth bought a parcel of land at the end of the Parade in 1794. The plan was to build a market house similar to Faneuil Hall in Boston at what is now the northern end of Pleasant Street across from the North Church. (Continued below)

 

 

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekl

207.jpg 

The tall two-story brick building, complete with ten market stalls on the first floor, was built in 1800. All but the outer walls burned in the great fire two years later and was rebuilt (center) in 1806. The upstairs meeting area, called Jefferson Hall, was adapted to use as a city hall soon after the Civil War. It was replaced by a modern bank building early in the 20th century. The market is gone, but the name remains.

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

BONUS CLOSE-UP

207detail01.jpg