Haven Goes Wendell Stays
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Pleasant Street in 1899 (c) Strawbery Banke MuseumStrawbery Banke Presents

This view of Pleasant Street is difficult to place since only the historic Wendell House on the right survives. The 1760 house on the far left belonged to Dr. Samuel Haven, pastor of the South Church. It was torn down in 1898, about the year of this photo, to create Haven Park, site of the city’s only equestrian monument. The 1799 Parry House in the middle was moved to another site in 1900 and demolished in 1941.



HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

(l to r) Parry, Haven and Wendell Houses on Pleasamst Street in Portsmouth, NH (c) Strawbery Banke Museum

Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved


Haven Park pc/ SeacoastNH.com

Haven Park was built by direction of the owner of the Haven House
who ordered it pulled down after his death and replaced by this park
where the Haven and Parry houses once stood. The statue is of
Civil War General Fitz-John Porter.