Harbour Place Condos were Coal Pocket
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Coal Pocket now Harbour Place comdos / SeacoastNH.com detail


Strawbery Banke Presents

Today it is the upscale offices of Harbour Place. Before that it was the Daniel Street Power Station at the corner of Daniel and Bow streets. This bird’s eye view, shot from the North Tower of the newly built Memorial Bridge around 1924, even shows mountains of coal piled outside. (Continued below)


Became Daniel Street Power Station

Now Seacoast Repertory Theatre, a marina and million dollar private condos are located to the right. Even before the bridge and the power plant, this site was a compact industrial zone with an early iron foundry, hosiery knitting mill, a brewery, and a milk company, among others. Part of the building dates to 1895. In 1901 it became the main building of the Rockingham Light and Power Company, providing power as far as the Exeter-Hampton, Amesbury Electric Railway and the university at Durham. Today it is considered an historic renovation project worthy of national praise. Meanwhile the fate of the historic Memorial Bridge hangs in limbo.

View from North Tower of Memorial Bridge Portsmouth NH 1924 / Strawbery Banke Photo

More Views from Memorial Bridge 1924

Bow Street buildings with Warner House in background, Portsmouth, NH, now gone (Detail 01)

Bottom of Bow Street, Portsmouth, NH buildings now gone / SeacoastNH.com detail03

Rockingham Electric Light later Daniel Street Power Station, Portsmouth, NH on SeacoastNH.com detail04

Bow Street Cold Storage across from St. John's  in 1924 / Strawbery Banke Archive