Frank Jones on the Rocks
  • Print
Written by SeacoastNH Archives

Ship wreck Frank Presents 
Historic Portsmouth #374

We all know Hon. Frank Jones the ale king, right? His estate at Maplewood is now divided into apartments, but the property once stretched to Pease Tradeport. A poor farm boy from Barrington, Jones clawed his way to local fortune selling rags and stoves.  But what about this ship? (Continued below)


Jones eventually owned banks, railroads, insurance companies, racing stables, Jones Brewery, and both the Wentworth and Rockingham hotels. He served as our mayor and as a state and federal congressman. Well, this photo has nothing to do with him, except that the tall ship was named in his honor. The Frank Jones is seen here stranded in San Francisco on June 30, 1877. According to historian Ray Brighton, this square rigger was built by Jones’ colleague Daniel Marcy of Kittery and sold for salvage for $4,750. There was also a sleek, white steamer named Frank Jones, originally owned by Jones and his Maine Central Railroad partners. Built at Bath Iron Works, it ferried passengers along the coast of Maine until 1905, then exploded carrying munitions in Virginia in 1918.  The flesh-and-blood Frank Jones died in 1902 and is buried in South Cemetery. (Photo courtesy Portsmouth Athenaeum)


Photo (c) Portsmouth Athenaeum