Fourth of July in 1910
  • Print
Written by Seacoast Archives

313_00SeacoastNH.com Presents
Historic Portsmouth #313

Portsmouth organized a huge Fourth of July celebration a century ago in 1910. The highly orchestrated "Return of the Sons and Daughters" opened with "The Grand Military and Civic Parade" at 10 am. This rarely seen photo includes up to 300 citizens and marchers in Market Square. (Text and photos below)

 

Everyone – with the exception of three small boys -- is wearing a hat. The oldest wooden buildings in Market Square (now demolished) to the right of the North Church are clearly visible. Close examination even shows restaurant workers peering out the windows of an Oyster Bar in the Joseph W. Hodgdon building (left), later the site of the Colonial Theatre, a supermarket and Eagle Photo. Well-dressed women can be seen on the second floor. Next door to the right is the Postal Telegraph and Cable office and "Shoe Specialties" at the shop of Charles W. Greene. Upstairs are Sherry’s Union Shop and a sign advertising "Electric Massage and Shampoo". The parade was followed by band concerts in various locations, then sporting events at 2 pm in the South Playground. Exhaustive details of the grand fireworks display at 8 pm fill an entire page in the official program and will be featured in Monday’s "History Matters" column. (Photo courtesy of the Portsmouth Athenaeum).

313_July_Fourth

BONUS  CLOSE-UPS BELOW
READ MORE: About 1910 fireworks display

313_Detail01

313_Detail02

313_Detail03

313_Detail04

Photo (c) Portsmouth Athenaeum on SeacoastNH.com