Catching the Beach Trolley
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Portsmouth Electric Railway at Lang's Corner in Rye, NH / Strawbery Banke
Strawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #115

The Portsmouth Electric Railway opened a Rye extension in 1899 after the owners agreed to prune as few scenic trees as possible. Here scores of summer travelers cling to an open car at Lang’s Corner in Rye during the height of the trolley era in 1917. The Boston & Maine Railroad, owners of the trolley, replaced the route with buses in 1925.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Portsmouth Electric Railway at Lang's Corner in Nye, NH / Strawbery Banke Archive

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

BONUS CLOSE-UP OF SIGN

Trolley riders in NH 1917/ SeacoastNH.com

Portsmouth NH beach trolley detail / SeacoastNH.com