Bow Street in 1881
  • Print
Written by Strawbery Banke Archive

Family in ox cart on Bow Street / Strawbery Banke ArchiveStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #68

The unpaved roads, cobblestone crosswalks, ox carts and ship masts are gone. Signs show the shops of Josiah S. James (flour and grain), Charles E. Boynton ("small beer"), John F. Shillaber (gunsmith) and George C. Wendell (blacksmith). The two wooden buildings, long missing from modern Bow Street were then carpenter and joiner shops located next to Eldredge’s Brewery office.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

Bow Street in 1881 / Strawbery Banke Archive

From HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH
Early Photographs from the Collections of Strawbery Banke
by James L. Garvin & Susan Grigg, Peter Randall Publisher
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum . All rights reserved

BONUS CLOSE-UP DETAILS

Ox carts in Bow Street, Portsmouth, NH / Strawbery Banke

Signs on Bow Street, Shillaber Guns / Strawbery Banke Archive

Wooden buildings no lionger standing on Bow Street, circa 1881 / Strawbery Banke Archive