Before Prescott Park
  • Print
Written by STrawbery Banke Archive

C E Walker & Co Coal Wharf in Portsmouth, NH / Strawbery Banke MuseumStrawbery Banke Presents
HISTORIC PORTSMOUTH #164

Easy to forget our beloved riverside park was once a gritty commercial center. This photo of Walker Coal Company was taken in 1924 from the new Memorial Bridge to Kittery. It offers an expansive view of the South End and New Castle before the Prescott Sisters inherited almost $3 million and "cleaned up" Marcy Street.

 

 

HISTORIC PHOTOS of the Greater Portsmouth Area appear here weekly

View of Portsmouth, NH South End Waterfront in 1924 / Strawbery Banke Museum


This image from the book STRAWBERY BANKE:
A Seaport Museum 400 Years in the Making
by J. Dennis Robinson
(c) Strawbery Banke Museum Collection

Strawbery Banke

BONUS CLOSE-UPS

Water STreet aerial view of Portsmouth South End from 1924 / Strawbery Banke Museum photo

South ENd waterfront warehouses in 1924, Portsmouth, NH /.Strawbery Banke Collections